Forum begins after the advertisement:

[Part 9] Feedback: unpause, audio, random bug

Home Forums Video Game Tutorial Series Creating a Metroidvania in Unity [Part 9] Feedback: unpause, audio, random bug

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Allan Valin
    Participant

Hey,

The unpause method wasn’t working, but the solution was in a previous forum post.

Some AudioSource details aren’t mentioned or repeated every time in the video:
    – main menu: not mentioned to add the audio mixer to the audio source (it works without, but I assume if you change the volume it won’t be affected)
    – pause menu: adding audio source isn’t at all mentioned (or at least shown)
    – player audio: finally mentioned to add the audio mixer, which prompted me to go to the two previous sections to solve the problems.

I wasn’t sure if I had to add the DestroyInMainMenu script to ALL prefabs, but I did it anyway. It says to add to the Singleton prefabs. Are there ones that aren’t singletons? idk

Sometimes when I used Desolate Dive the ground collision isn’t detected, I tried recording it, but after 2 minutes trying the bug decided to disappear lol kinda randomly appears.

Back to my previous being damaged when attacking problem:
    At 22:40 (part 9) code I saw that the code shown is different from what is shown on the video where the code is shown.
    Basically if (hasTakenDamage) return; isn’t there and the method name is different as well.

public virtual void EnemyHit(float _damageDone, Vector2 _hitDirection, float _hitForce)
        {
            if (hasTakenDamage) return;

health -= _damageDone;
            if (!isRecoiling)
            {
                GameObject _orangeBlood = Instantiate(orangeBlood, transform.position, Quaternion.identity);
                Destroy(_orangeBlood, 5.5f);
                rb.velocity = _hitForce * recoilFactor * _hitDirection;
            }
            hasTakenDamage = true;

}

Since that a code that is different from what was given and seems to work differently, I wonder if it could be the culprit. Which is supposed to be the “real” version?

All in all, aside from a couple fast forwards making things difficult to understand what was done, part 9 was one of the easiest videos to follow.

Terence
    Keymaster

Thanks for posting this Allan. I’ve pinned this topic so that we can review this while working on the revamp. Also gave you another Bug Reporter + Content Contributor badge as thanks for your help in typing this out.

Regarding the EnemyHit() function, can you show me what the other code is? I’ll have a read and give you my thoughts on it.

Allan Valin
    Participant

Inside Enemy the variable protected bool hasTakenDamage = false; is already initialized, but changing that doesn’t seems to make a difference.
    In both cases, I tried jumping over an enemy while hitting another on the right, that causes the DownAttackTransform to freeze the player on the air taking damage multiple times in a row.

While before the code wasn’t showing any errors, after changing hasTakenDamage between not having a starting value and returning it to the having one, now I can see two of them.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.Graphs.Edge.WakeUp () (at <84411d99c4a04a5f824cb9590142af8d>:0)
    UnityEditor.Graphs.Graph.DoWakeUpEdges (System.Collections.Generic.List1[T] inEdges, System.Collections.Generic.List1[T] ok, System.Collections.Generic.List`
    1[T] error, System.Boolean inEdgesUsedToBeValid) (at <84411d99c4a04a5f824cb9590142af8d>:0)
    UnityEditor.Graphs.Graph.WakeUpEdges (System.Boolean clearSlotEdges) (at <84411d99c4a04a5f824cb9590142af8d>:0)
    UnityEditor.Graphs.Graph.WakeUp (System.Boolean force) (at <84411d99c4a04a5f824cb9590142af8d>:0)
    UnityEditor.Graphs.Graph.WakeUp () (at <84411d99c4a04a5f824cb9590142af8d>:0)
    UnityEditor.Graphs.Graph.OnEnable () (at <84411d99c4a04a5f824cb9590142af8d>:0)
    ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: _unity_self
    UnityEditor.SerializedObject.FindProperty (System.String propertyPath) (at <9920ff0c944845d7b9f9a61ef1478edc>:0)
    UnityEditor.UIElements.Bindings.SerializedObjectBindingContext.BindPropertyRelative (UnityEngine.UIElements.IBindable field, UnityEditor.SerializedProperty parentProperty) (at <8c3449848bd845499081ddbe4a09b367>:0)
    UnityEditor.UIElements.Bindings.SerializedObjectBindingContext.BindTree (UnityEngine.UIElements.VisualElement element, UnityEditor.SerializedProperty parentProperty) (at <8c3449848bd845499081ddbe4a09b367>:0)
    UnityEditor.UIElements.Bindings.SerializedObjectBindingContext.ContinueBinding (UnityEngine.UIElements.VisualElement element, UnityEditor.SerializedProperty parentProperty) (at <8c3449848bd845499081ddbe4a09b367>:0)
    UnityEditor.UIElements.Bindings.DefaultSerializedObjectBindingImplementation+BindingRequest.Bind (UnityEngine.UIElements.VisualElement element) (at <8c3449848bd845499081ddbe4a09b367>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.VisualTreeBindingsUpdater.Update () (at <7c69dfc1e63a4ea388c73014d3c7ce20>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.VisualTreeUpdater.UpdateVisualTreePhase (UnityEngine.UIElements.VisualTreeUpdatePhase phase) (at <7c69dfc1e63a4ea388c73014d3c7ce20>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.Panel.UpdateBindings () (at <7c69dfc1e63a4ea388c73014d3c7ce20>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.UnityEngine.UIElements.IUIElementsUtility.UpdateSchedulers () (at <7c69dfc1e63a4ea388c73014d3c7ce20>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIEventRegistration.UpdateSchedulers () (at <7c69dfc1e63a4ea388c73014d3c7ce20>:0)
    UnityEditor.RetainedMode.UpdateSchedulers () (at <8c3449848bd845499081ddbe4a09b367>:0)

Here are all the times I found a mention of EnemyHit().

PlayerController

void Hit(Transform _attackTransform, Vector2 _attackArea, ref bool _recoilBool, Vector2 _recoilDir, float _recoilStrength)
    {
        Collider2D[] objectsToHit = Physics2D.OverlapBoxAll(_attackTransform.position, _attackArea, 0, attackableLayer);

if (objectsToHit.Length > 0)
        {
            _recoilBool = true;
        }
        for (int i = 0; i < objectsToHit.Length; i++)
        {
            if (objectsToHit[i].GetComponent<Enemy>() != null)
            {
                objectsToHit[i].GetComponent<Enemy>().EnemyHit(damage, _recoilDir, _recoilStrength);

if (objectsToHit[i].CompareTag("Enemy"))
                {
                    Mana += manaGain;
                }
            }
        }

private void OnTriggerEnter2D(Collider2D _other) //for up and down cast spell
    {
        if (_other.GetComponent<Enemy>() != null && pState.casting)
        {
            _other.GetComponent<Enemy>().EnemyHit(spellDamage, (_other.transform.position - transform.position).normalized, -recoilYSpeed);
        }
    }

Enemy

public virtual void EnemyHit(float _damageDone, Vector2 _hitDirection, float _hitForce)
    {
        if (hasTakenDamage) return;

health -= _damageDone;
        if (!isRecoiling)
        {
            audioSource.PlayOneShot(hurtSound);
            GameObject _orangeBlood = Instantiate(orangeBlood, transform.position, Quaternion.identity);
            Destroy(_orangeBlood, 5.5f);
            rb.velocity = _hitForce * recoilFactor * _hitDirection;
        }
        hasTakenDamage = true;

}

Bat

public override void EnemyHit(float _damageDone, Vector2 _hitDirection, float _hitForce)
    {
        base.EnemyHit(_damageDone, _hitDirection, _hitForce);

if (health > 0) ChangeState(EnemyStates.Bat_Stunned);
        else ChangeState(EnemyStates.Bat_Death);

}

Fireball

private void OnTriggerEnter2D(Collider2D _other)
    {
        if (_other.tag == "Enemy")
        {
            _other.GetComponent<Enemy>().EnemyHit(damage, (_other.transform.position - transform.position).normalized, -hitForce);
        }
    }

I also noticed that my enemies didn’t have an Anim animator assigned to them, so I just added the same that was below them in the Inspector. Didn’t seem to change anything.

Terence
    Keymaster

To answer this question of yours:

Since that a code that is different from what was given and seems to work differently, I wonder if it could be the culprit. Which is supposed to be the “real” version?

I suspect the if(hasTakenDamage) return; line is there to prevent an enemy from taking more than 1 instance of damage in a single frame. This can happen if the enemy has multiple colliders, and your attack collider overlaps with at least 1 of them. It is a “cheap” way of doing this — the better (but harder) way will be to build your combat system in such a way that it circumvents this error entirely.

That being said. Keeping this there would be a better choice than leaving it out.

Joseph Tang

It’s a bit late, but to add on,
    the hasTakenDamage is likely a bugfix as mentioned for an issue presented during the series’ creation.

[Part 3] Multiple colliders on Enemy causing multiple hits

Thus, it’s likely the creators had integrated this fix without mentioning it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Go to Login Page →

Advertisement below: