Forum begins after the advertisement:

[Part 10] Upgrade Menu Stays active after choosing upgrade

Home Forums Video Game Tutorial Series Creating a Rogue-like Shoot-em Up in Unity [Part 10] Upgrade Menu Stays active after choosing upgrade

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Renaud St-Hilaire
    Silver Supporter (Patron)

Hi, I get a nullreferenceException error when choosing an upgrade, the adding weapons/leveling up works but the panel doesnt disappear after choosing. Here’s a screenshot of both the Game manager and the inventory manager and the AddPassive and AddWeapon code. Thanks for the help!

public void AddWeapon(int slotIndex, WeaponController weapon)   //Add a weapon to a specific slot
      {
          weaponSlots[slotIndex] = weapon;
          weaponLevels[slotIndex] = weapon.weaponData.Level;
          weaponUISlots[slotIndex].enabled = true;   //Enable the image component
          weaponUISlots[slotIndex].sprite = weapon.weaponData.Icon;

if (GameManager.instance != null && GameManager.instance.choosingUpgrade)
          {
              GameManager.instance.EndLevelUp();
          }
      }

public void AddPassiveItem(int slotIndex, PassiveItem passiveItem)  //Add a passive item to a specific slot
      {
          passiveItemSlots[slotIndex] = passiveItem;
          passiveItemLevels[slotIndex] = passiveItem.passiveItemData.Level;
          passiveItemUISlots[slotIndex].enabled = true; //Enable the image component
          passiveItemUISlots[slotIndex].sprite = passiveItem.passiveItemData.Icon;

{
          }
      }
    Terence
    Keymaster

Renaud, can you bold the lines 55 and 68 in your code above?

Renaud St-Hilaire

Im not sure what do you mean by bold the lines, you mean make them bold? or like make them unactive with a double slash // ? Im sorry for my english its not my first language.

Terence
    Keymaster

Renaud, that’s right, I mean to make them bold. I suspect your issues have to do with the errors that are appearing, but I need to know which lines are being referred to so I can help you fix them.

Renaud St-Hilaire

Ok! Its the two lines that enables the image components.

public void AddWeapon(int slotIndex, WeaponController weapon)   //Add a weapon to a specific slot
      {
          weaponSlots[slotIndex] = weapon;
          weaponLevels[slotIndex] = weapon.weaponData.Level;
          weaponUISlots[slotIndex].enabled = true;   //Enable the image component
          weaponUISlots[slotIndex].sprite = weapon.weaponData.Icon;

{
          }
      }
      public void AddPassiveItem(int slotIndex, PassiveItem passiveItem)  //Add a passive item to a specific slot
      {
          passiveItemSlots[slotIndex] = passiveItem;
          passiveItemLevels[slotIndex] = passiveItem.passiveItemData.Level;
          passiveItemUISlots[slotIndex].enabled = true; //Enable the image component
          passiveItemUISlots[slotIndex].sprite = passiveItem.passiveItemData.Icon;

{
          }
      }
    Terence
    Keymaster

Hi Renaud, it is likely that some of the slots in your InventoryManager are not assigned. Can you double check?

InventoryManager slots not assigned

The NullReferenceException is saying that your passiveItemUISlots[slotIndex] and weaponUISlots[slotIndex] variables are null, so you cannot do something like weaponUISlots[slotIndex].enabled, because it evaluates to null.enabled.

Renaud St-Hilaire

Nice its working now, I probably did something that made them unassigned because it was working fine at first. Thank you for the help!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Go to Login Page →

Advertisement below: