Forum begins after the advertisement:

Character Selector Different Skins

Home Forums Video Game Tutorial Series Creating a Rogue-like Shoot-em Up in Unity Character Selector Different Skins

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Lock
    Participant

Hello,

I have 2 different characters that look different but your character selector only implements the scriptable object. How can I make the characters also look different with animations etc not just the stats?

Terence
    Keymaster

I’m not very clear about the inner workings of the Vampire Survivors series’ codebase, but generally speaking, if you want different animations for another character, you will have to create a different Animator Controller for the other character and prefab it.

Let me know if that makes sense.

Xavier Lee
    Keymaster

Hi Jeremy Lock, that’s an interesting question.

It sounds to me that you want the sprite and animator controller to be different depending on which character is selected. This is a relatively straightforward process.

1. First, you have to add a sprite and animator controller fields to the CharacterScriptableObject
    2. Then, when assigning the data in the PlayerStats, simply change the sprite and animator controller to that of the characterData‘s

Hope this helps!

Windfinz
    Participant

Hi Xavier Lee
    im currently having a problem with the second step of assigning the data to the PlayerStats script, could you send me a picture of the code?

Terence
    Keymaster

Hi Windfinz, we post all our codes in the accompanying articles for each video. You can find a list of all the articles here: https://blog.terresquall.com/series/creating-a-rogue-like-vampire-survivors/

GrimMemento
    Former Patron

Nevermind

g Dni
    Former Patron

Hi Xavier Lee
    I have the same question. I make the prefabs of characters with different sprite and animation. Then i add the GameObject field of characters’ prefab to the characterScriptableObject. But it doesn’t work.

Terence
    Keymaster

Hi g Dni, do you have screenshots / videos of the error(s) you are encountering?

g Dni
    Former Patron

void Awake()
        {
            currentSprite = characterData.Sprite;
            currentAnimatorController = characterData.AnimatorController;
        }

void Start()
        {
            //Done
            transform.GetComponent<Animator>().runtimeAnimatorController = currentAnimatorController;
            Debug.Log("currentAnimatorController: " + currentAnimatorController);
            //not work
            transform.GetComponent<SpriteRenderer>().sprite = currentSprite;
            Debug.Log("sprite: " + currentSprite);
        }

I followed the suggestions. It wokrs for changing animator, but not for sprite.

Terence
    Keymaster

What does your Debug.Log("sprite: " + currentSprite); line print?

g Dni
    Former Patron

It print the exact sprite which i wanted. I found the problem caused by animator and i fixed it by adding the Idle animation.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Go to Login Page →

Advertisement below: